The conference participants can choose from four site visits to the underground structures in and around Prague organised on Wednesday morning, June 5, 2019.
- Site visit A – Tunnels Sudoměřice – Votice
The maximum number of participants for Site Visit A is 40.
- Site visit B – Josef Regional Underground Research Centre
The maximum number of participants for Site Visit B is 20.
- Site Visit C – Main traffic control centre in Prague (Control of traffic including tunnels)
The maximum number of participants for Site Visit C is 20.
- Site visit D – Repository Richard
The maximum number of participants for Site Visit D is 20.
- Site visit E – Rudolph Adit + Old wastewater treatment plan
The maximum number of participants for Site Visit E is 20.
Application for the Site Visit
When registering, please tick the selected site visit on the online registration form.
English interpretation of all excursions will be provided for foreign participants.
Excursion A – Sudoměřice – Votice
Departure from Clarion Congress Hotel at 8:00. The tour itself will take 2.5–3 hours. Return to Clarion Congress Hotel at 14:00.
Modernization of the Sudoměřice – Votice track is one of the last components of the series of works on the fourth transit corridor connecting Germany and Austria via Děčín, Prague and České Budějovice. What was to date a single-track segment will see the addition of a second track, two tunnels and also a new railway station at Červený Újezd. The speed of trains will increase to 160 km/h, which will allow the travel time of express trains between Prague and Tábor to be shortened to one hour.
The tunnel lies between the Central Bohemian villages of Mezno and Střezimíř. The total length of the tunnel is 840 m. The length of the drilled part is 767 m, with the excavated pits having a length of 48.5 m at the entrance and 24.5 m at the exit. The height of the wall of the drilled portal is 18.5 m at the entrance (overburden 7.2 m), 16 m at the exit (overburden 5.5 m). The maximum height of the overburden of the drilled tunnel is 26.3 m and is found along 397.5 m of the route. Construction is being conducted using NRTM technology. The cross-section of the tunnel excavation is planned to range from 101.7 m2 for the section at the abutments to 119.5 m2 at the cross-section with the lower arch. The type of reinforcement is designed based on the static calculations while respecting the expected geological and geotechnical conditions at the site. The area is built of rocks from the diverse set of the Bohemian Massif; the predominant rock types are partially migmatized, sillimanite-biotite gneisses ranging to migmatites, sporadically containing granitoid filler. The quaternary is represented by deluvial sediments ranging from mudrock to sandrock.
This tunnel is being drilled under the peak of the same name above the current Ješetice station. The length of the drilled part of the tunnel is 562.0 m of the total length of 660.0 m. Both portals are to be excavated and after completion lined with gabions. The whole length of the tunnel declines in the direction of chainage at a grade of approximately 11.00%. This means the digging will be conducted uphill from the lowest to the highest point of the tunnel. It partially leads in a left curve of 1402 m radius (in the direction of chainage, i.e. from Sudoměřice) and partially straight.
The tunnel is being drilled in the new Austrian tunnelling method (NRTM). Blasting work is being considered for dislodging the rock. The tunnel is broken up horizontally into the heading, bench and invert.
The maximum number of participants for Excursion A is 40.
Excursion B – Josef Underground Educational Centre
Departure from Clarion Congress Hotel at 8:00 am. The tour itself will take 2.5–3 hours. Return to Clarion Congress Hotel at 14:00.
The Josef Underground Laboratory is a new facility of the CTU Faculty of Civil Engineering that was opened in June 2007. The laboratory is located very close to the Slapy Reservoir near the village of Čelin in the Příbram region.
The Josef Underground Laboratory serves primarily for instruction of CTU students, with the possibility of use for other universities as well. Another important aspect of its activity is research and cooperation with the business sector. The focus of the Josef Underground Laboratory is unique not only within the Czech Republic, but also in Europe.
The project is inspired by similar underground laboratories in the USA and Europe. Underground laboratories operated by universities provide a high level of practical preparation for students under real conditions, helping to advance research activity and facilitating closer connection between university laboratories and real practice. You can find more information at the website: www.uef-josef.eu.
We recommend taking sturdy footwear and warm clothing for the trip underground (constant temperature of + 8 °C).
The maximum number of participants for Excursion B is 20.
Excursion C – City of Prague Urban Traffic Control Centre (UTCC Prague)
Tour participants are to meet at 9:00 in front of the UTCC building. The tour itself will last 1.5 hours.
UTCC Prague is the competent control centre for traffic in road tunnels in the central part of Prague and is the highest level of the telematic transport system operated in the City of Prague. UTCC is currently located in the building of the Central Dispatching building for public transport, in Prague 2. It is operated by officers of the Police of the Czech Republic. This specialized facility also collects and processes transport information on traffic in the delineated section or area of the road network, transport data from telematic applications in the various sensor cross-sections, technological information on the state of operation of various pieces of equipment and warning alerts on critical situations.
The excursion will focus on a tour of the dispatching centre and information concerning the monitoring and management of traffic in tunnels in the central part of Prague.
The maximum number of participants for Excursion C is 20.
Excursion D – Richard Radioactive Waste Repository
Departure from Clarion Congress Hotel at 8:00. The tour itself will last 2 hours. Return to Clarion Congress Hotel at 13:00.
The extensive underground mines of Richard I, II and III, which stretch out in the hills above the North Bohemian town of Litoměřice, have a rich history, not always focused on mineral mining. From the first half of the 19th century, limestone was quarried under the peak of Bídnice. The limestone layer in this area is located approx. 70 to 80 metres below the surface and is about five metres thick. Such an environment is optimal for the extraction of this mineral, thus three separate limestone quarries were created here.
In the years 1943–1944, the Nazis selected this site due to secrecy for their underground factory for the company Auto Union A. G. Chemnitz (manufacture of components and parts for Maybach engines – type HL 230) and the company Osram. They gave the construction of the underground manufacturing facilities the code name Richard; sometimes the factory was also referred to as B 5. Working on the large-scale construction project were imprisoned miners, bricklayers, concreters, electricians, plumbers and other tradespeople. These were shipped in for the job from the work camp in Litoměřice, and some of them also from nearby Terezín. Only some of the manufacturing halls for Auto Union managed to be fully completed.
After the war, the underground space remained in various stages of construction, from fully completed manufacturing halls to corridors where expansion mining work was still just taking place. After all the equipment was carted off at the end of 1945, Čižkovice Cement and Lime renewed the extraction of limestone. Over the following 15 years, an extensive complex of tunnels building off Richard I were formed. The method of mining used was however much more expensive that an open quarry and extraction was terminated.
There were considerations on alternative manners of using all three mines as far back as the 1950s. In 1959 the first official proposal for utilizing the Richard II mining complex to store radioactive waste was made. Five years later, in 1964, this plan became a reality.
Another important milestone in the history of the Richard repository is the year 1976. This was when the Czech Central Mountains Protected Landscape Area was formed. This area included the territory of all three Richard mines, including Richard II, where the eponymous radioactive waste repository has been functioning for over 50 years. Every year several hundred casks of waste are shipped to the repository and stored there. This is institutional waste formed of discontinued radioactive emitters (fire alarms, level gauges, etc.), contaminated rubble, plastic, paper, etc.
The total volume of space used in the Richard II mine exceeds 19,000 m3. The capacity of the storage chambers is 10,250 m3, which is currently about 70% full.
The maximum number of participants for Excursion D is 20.
Excursion E – Rudolph Adit + Old wastewater treatment plan
Departure from Clarion Congress Hotel at 8:00. The tour itself will last around 2 hours. Return to Clarion Congress Hotel at 12:00 noon.
The Rudolph Adit is a 1102 m long historical underground work. It has an oval profile, with a height ranging from 2 to 4 metres and a width of 80 to 150 cm. The average temperature inside is around 11 degrees. The route of the tunnel leads around 45 m below ground level.
The adit, which from the beginning served to connect the ponds in the Royal Game Reserve to water from the Vltava, was built in 1584–1593 on the orders of Emperor Rudolph II. Construction of the adit was entrusted to the chief bergmeister Lazar Ercker von Schreckenfels, who was helped by chief mine surveyor Jiří Oeder of Ústí.
Completion of work on the adit was managed by Ercker's successor Van der Vam Kojas. The whole work cost 66299 threescores of Groschen. Where the rock was not firm enough, the corridors were reinforced only with timber. In the years 1636–1639 the adit was bricked by the portals, and later to a greater extent as well. In 1711 a wooden boardwalk was built along its whole length. Over its existence, the walls of the adit have collapsed inside many times and the corridor thus had to be cleared out. In the 1950s the bottom of the tunnel was tiled with gutters.
The old wastewater treatment plant in Prague – Bubeneč is an important document in the history of architecture, engineering and water management. It was built in the years 1901–1905 as the last link in the systematic sewer network in Prague.
It served to treat the majority of wastewater in Prague up until 1967, when the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant was put into operation on the nearby Císařský ostrov. The project for the sewer system and design of the technical parameters for the plant were drafted by the civil engineer of British origin Sir William Heerlein Lindley.
The maximum number of participants for Excursion E is 20.